With the temps in the 50’s, it was the perfect day to check on the hives, clean out the bottom boards covered with layers of dead bees, and add some emergency winter feed. (Winter is sure to last at least another month!
“Suit up! Where’s the smoker?” (Smoke helps to calm the bees, or scares the bees into thinking there is a fire.) Our window of opportunity was small, so it was off to the hives without the smoker. BIG MISTAKE.
The warre’ hive check up was quick. The bees were hardly disturbed in the process. The bee patties we put on the warre’ were completely gone–yikes. Two more frames of honey, which were taken from a hive we lost in the fall, were added. Hopefully that will take care of them till the first spring blooms appear.
The langstroth hive, on the other hand, was full of bees and honey. Taking off the bottom board was a chore. One medium box full of honey and two boxes of bees–HEAVY. As soon as we opened up the hive they were all over us. Several climbed up AJ’s pant legs and began their attack. Thank goodness for lavender oil!